A Recap Of 2010

2010 seen Peter Clarke stepping up to take the lead role in the management team of the senior team. Completing this team is Gerry McElroy and Collie Curran who help form the selection process, and Terry McCann as team coach. Peter, Gerry and Collie were soon to instill a never say die attitude, and in conjunction with the training provided by Terry McCann and Owen Mooney a superior level of fitness and skill was achieved. This level of fitness and the never say die attitude instilled by management was soon to become known as EMMETT STEEL, a force many a club would soon have to endure!


As a result of the league and Championship guidelines drawn up by Fermanagh’s County Board, Lisnaskea were deemed ineligible for entry into the Senior Championship, but were instead to be entered into the Intermediate Championship.
Their progression through to the county final in this competition was relatively swift and without much notoriety, until they met Irvinestown in the final. This game proved to be a rather exciting affair but in the end Lisnaskea’s superior fitness and ability proved to be the deciding factor in victory for The Emmett’s!

(Fermanagh Intermediate Champions 2010)

After the celebrations of being crowned Intermediate Champions in Fermanagh, the Ulster campaign started!
First up were Tullylish who were to be the first victims on the Emmett’s charge to Ulster victory! The game which took place in Newry was highly entertaining with some great football being played by both teams. Eventually, the superior fitness and abilities of the Emmett’s seen them run out seven point winners.

Next up was Rasharkin in the Ulster Semi Final on a cold foggy day in Omagh.
Despite Rasharkin taking an early lead and looking the more dominate side the Emmetts struck at the heart of Rasharkin’s defence. Mark Little played a perfectly weighted ball into the surging path of Niall McElroy who drove the ball into the Rasharkin net!
Mark Little fired over two points which seemed to leave the Antrim men in awe!
Rasharkin did manage one more score in the first half to send the two teams in level.

The second half seen the two teams exchanging points as both teams tried to assert their authority on the game. Niall McElroy popped up to fire over a point for the Emmetts before Rasharkin cancelled the lead out with a equaliser.
Mark Little struck again with a point which seemed to bemuse the Rasharkin defense to help the Emmetts take the lead!

(Mark Little in action against Rasharkin)

Next up, it was the turn of the Skea goalkeeper, Barry McGoldrick to deny Rasharkin their opportunity of taking control of this epic battle.
As the game was closing in on full time Emmett Steel sprung into action with The Emmett’s midfield rising above the Antrim men and taking control of the game with vengeance.
Confounded with The Emmetts forwards erupting into action and scoring at will, and with Daniel ‘Cecil’ Killes’ perfectly floated ball over three defenders for Mark Little to bury the ball in the top corner of the Rasharkin net the game was over as a contest!

Next up - The Ulster Final!

Saturday 11th December 2010, that is the date history was made in the history of the Emmetts and throughout Fermanagh's footballing community! It was on a chilly day in Kingspan Breffini where the Monaghan champions, Doohamlet stood to try and prevent the Clarke machine as it continued on its quest for glory in Ulster!

The game proved to be a fast paced affair, and coupled with some great scores and the never say die attitude Doohamlet were to find themselves over-run as the Clarke machine roared!

The Emmetts were guilty of an uncharacteristically high amount of wide's in the first half and after Doohamlet somehow managing to get the ball into the back of the net Skea found themselves 2 points down at half time! Cecil struck back with a point to close the game to a point, but Doohamlet upped their game and fired over three points without reply! It was at this time the defense were facing their biggest test as Doohamlet tried to win the game! It was at this period, loosing by four points every Skea supporter and player held their breaths as they seen pearse Collins racing toward his own goal line to clear the ball from danger! This fired the guys up and when Kevin Curran went on a run from corner back to Doohamlet's 45 meter line he drove the ball between the posts to remind the forwards how to score! Carters slotted over a score, Shane Ingram joined him on the score sheet, leaving the deficit to just one point! Doohamlet somehow got the ball up toward the Skea goal and their tiring midfielder slotted over a point! The Doohamlet supporters thought that this would stem the Emmetts comeback, little did they know!

Carters struck again to reduce the skea deficit to the bare minimum, then the Cecil was to strike! He raced over to take command of sideline ball and decided its outcome! As he stood on the thirteen meter line on the sideline he decided to dispense with a short pass and drive the ball over the bar! These scores and the darting runs, along with the persistent tackling by the Emmetts seen the Doohamlet heads falling, and their exhaustion showing throughout! By now, Skea were in total control, scoring at will, Conor Curran getting in on the act with another score as he raced down the sideline!

All that was left was another score for Cecil, the Ogie collects the cup and delivers yet another speech!

For his exceptional display on the field today for the Emmetts, John Woods was to receive the man of the match award!





Next Up - The All Ireland Semi FInal!

So, off to Navan we go to take on the leinster Champions Ballymore Eustace of Kildare! Due to a potential clash in team colours both teams were forced to wear the county colours! Ballymore were a team which had the reputation of having a great midfield and that this factor could prove to be something the Emmetts would find hard to overcome! There was talk of a great forward for Ballymore, but like the midfield of Ballymore this greatness was not be be seen. It was the dominant partnership of Conor and ogie in the midfield for the Emmetts which would go on to dominate the midfield! In the first half Lisnaskea seemed to win nearly every ball which came their way!

In the first half Lisnaskea's forwards were scoring at will, and the individual battles going on throughout were being won by the Emmetts. Despite a convincing score line of 1-07 to 1-01 at half time this does not give a true depiction of the superiority enjoyed by the Emmetts! The two scores Ballymore did manage was a point from a free and a goal as a result of a mix-up in the Skea defence.

Aidy Little weaved in and out of the Ballymore defenders before delivering a precession pass to his brother to bury into the roof of the net! Cecil, Shane Ingram, Stevie Carters and Aidy were scoring at will, and chances were aplenty! Had lisnaskea taken every scoring opportunity this would have been a 30 minute game!!

The second half seen Ballymore rally something resembling of a comeback by scoring three points without reply, but then the forwards sprung into action yet again and began to pick points of whenever the chance arose! Ballymore were unable to handle the pace of the forwards and the directness and speed of the game proved to be too much for the Leinster champions!

In the end Skea ran out 1-12 to 1-05 winners, now for Croke Park and the chance for ultimate glory!!




The league campaign of 2010 was not without controversy or upset but the true fighting spirit and determination the management team instilled in the team seen them overcome many obstacles and set backs they encountered as they progressed throughout the season.

e game which was away to Newton which proved to be both exciting and controversial. After a timid first half by all accounts of this typically historic fiery derby game, the second half seen the grit and determination of the Emmett's turn the Newtown lead around and eventually take control of the game only to see a Newtown forward equalize in injury time with a pointed 45 metre kick.


(Brian Og Maguire, capt. in action against Roslea)

As the season progressed the club took some notable scalps along it's campaign. Newtown were to fall convincingly on the return leg of the league, along with the 2010 Championship winners, Roslea who were unfortunate to meet the Skea machine now firmly in gear. The return leg of this fixture was yet again met with controversy with a strange penalty decision awarded to Roslea and what should have been a stonewall penalty decision for Lisnaskea waved away, to EVERYONES amazement!

Despite Lisnaskea suffering a heavy blow to the hands of Belcoo in the 3rd round of the league the return fixture seen The Emmett's produce one of their finest league performances in toppling a strong Belcoo team in Emmett Park.

As a result of an incident in the opening game of the year, Lisnaskea were deducted 2 league points but this did not deter our boys on their quest for league glory! Their gallant performances and never die attitude paid off in them securing a league semi final play-off against the county champions Roslea! Again, this determination and superior fitness level that the management team have engraved within every squad member seen them turn around a substantial lead enjoyed by Roslea and run out winners and secure a place in the league final against Devenish.

The 2010 league Final which will see Lisnaskea take on Devenish has now been scheduled for March 6th 2011-!! (YES THAT IS THE RIGHT DATE, 6/03/2011).